Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring Camparee

Yesterday and today (and tommorrow, but we left to day because we're not heathens who camp on Sunday) was the Spring Boy Scout Camparee. It was also my first camping trip with no blood relative. It was also the funnest Scout campout I've ever had. These things were not related. Neither was it fun because of the activities planned. But rather, it was fun because -you guessed it- a couple of Supernerds! I was wandering around the camping grounds last night looking for a friend of mine, when I saw people sword-fighting. As it turns out, their scoutmaster is a big nerd and had foam-padded swords of different kinds and they had brought them to fit in with the medieval theme.I wanted in, so I used my extremely aggresive way of getting in on things by standing around looking pitiful until they invited me in. Big mistake. Since I felt welcome, I came back today after realizing most of the planned activities were lame, and commenced sword-fighting. A crowd gathered. Eventually the sword-fighting grew more popular than everything planned. Some people thought it was planned. I heard a group of kids walk over, see the line, made a remark and then leave, thinking it was something that they could come back to. Eventually the crowd grew so large that we started cycling in people in pairs whenever somebody died. Everybody had 3 lives, but once you died once you had to wait in line again. On my first go through of the line I received a long-sword as my weapon and commenced ownage with my right hand. Then some idiot cut my arm off. Me still being alive, I switched arms and killed him. I then re-emerged into the fray fighting with my much less dominant left hand. My main strategy was to lure somebody in, then cut off their legs with my superior reach, then come in for the kill (or just walk away and let somebody else kill em). I would either do that or slash somebody across the back when they had their back to me (like when they were fighting someone else). My favorite kill was around when people started throwing themselves at me a second time, after standing in line again (I hadn't died all this time). A 14 year old was rushing at me, all like " I'm gonna kill you" and all. Me, not losing my cool, held my sword at arm's length and said "Come to me and die!" He did. He charged in, I chopped his legs off and followed up with a quick blow to the upper shoulder as soon as he hit the ground. With my left hand. I ended up coming in second, losing only to the 16 year old chief nerd (son of their scoutmaster), but it's okay that he's a nerd, as long as he's a butt-kicking medieval knight kind of nerd. I would like to add that I never died, even with my left hand, until it was one on one.  This was due to the fact that we made an agreement to kill everyone else so we could fight one-on-one. And we did kill everyone else. Three times.

2 comments:

  1. That is crazy! are you sure your not turning in to one of the three nerds? thres amigos, or dynamic duo? jk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! And incredibly entertaining! That sounded like a lot of fun- I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
    This is definitely one of my all-time favorite posts.

    ReplyDelete