Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Story

Recently I began a story. Here it is.

I opened my eyes and looked across the road to my younger brother James, who was attempting to light a fire to cook our breakfast. James and I had been fascinated by the songs of the bards that spoke of great heroes performing noble deeds that we decided to leave home in search of adventure of our own. That was 2 months ago. Since then, many times have I wondered if it was a wise decision to have a couple 19 and 17 year-olds wandering around the dangerous country of Aladaria on their own with nothing but the clothes on their backs, their amateur fighting skills, and the slightly rusted weapons that they called their own. James specialized in the uses of dual daggers and throwing knives, while my weapon of choice is the sword, but I can handle myself with a bow as well. I had thought about the choice we had made to leave home, and decided it was best that we return and accept that nothing was in store for us except the boring life of a couple of farmer’s sons.

I stood up and wandered over to the new fire that was beginning to rise from the ashes of last night’s. It’s time to tell him my intentions, but I don’t think he’ll handle them well, I thought. James was an ambitious fellow that never bored of our endless wandering, even if they never resulted in anything happening. He could be annoying at times with his optimism, but he has good intent. James had noticed my gloomy look. “What’s up, Jack? It looks like something’s bothering you, and don’t tell me it’s just lack of sleep, because I heard you snore all night.”
Oh drat, now I’ve got to tell him. I thought. I decided to break it to him as bluntly as possible. “Well Jack, I’ve done some thinking, and I think it’s time we return home.”
“Wh-wha-what? We can’t go back now! The adventure is just about to begin.” James recoiled in horror at my remark.
“Yes, we can, and apparently no adventure is fated to come our way.” I said, a bit taken aback by James’ sudden decision to rebel against one of my decisions. James may be an ambitious, spirited fellow, but he certainly knows better than to go against me, and he had demonstrated it on multiple occasions.
“Yes, it is.” James insisted, pointing up the road. I looked, and saw an orc party that was making a quick march toward us. I would have been worried, but luckily, orcs have inferior eyesight in the sunlight, so I knew they couldn’t have seen us.
“Quick, get behind a tree and we’ll jump these disgusting greenskins,” I instructed.
“Now you’re talking,” James said in satisfaction as he obeyed my command.

Should I continue with it?

2 comments:

  1. What do you think? YES!!!! You are honestly an amazing writer! Personally I think kids should write books for kids because they know what kind of books they would like. I like it continue please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My name is miles and I heard you were moving into the Layer's house and you were going to be in our ward. You are going to realize that our sunday class is insainly crazy. Also, I think your going to pionner middle school. It's an o.k. school. You will be the only person my age and my grade! everyone else was born after August.I have a blog, too, and totally by coincidence, it is names A Boy's Blog at www.mileshasablog.blogspot.com I like reading, writing, wii, and painting. I look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete